Toasted Garlic Baguette with Baked Chevre « Return to recipes index
Photography by David Solm, Adelaide Magazine
You will need:
- 1 Artisan baguette, cut in half lengthwise.
- Coriole extra virgin olive oil.
- 250g Woodside Cheese Wrights goat milk chevre.
- 1 garlic clove, crushed.
- Cracked black pepper.
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced.
- 1 tbsp Australian Caper Company baby capers.
- 1 whole peeled garlic clove.
- For filling: 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped finely. Extra olive oil, chopped oregano & fresh chillies.
How to create:
Baguette: Preheat oven to 220°C. Turn heat down to 200°C then place baguette in oven until it is toasted - it should be golden and slightly crispy.
Topping: It is best if you have an oven proof skillet, but otherwise use a pan. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil in the base of the skillet or pan. Cut the chevre into bite size cubes then place in the pan with the crushed garlic clove & cracked black pepper to your taste, half of the sliced chilli & capers. Place skillet in the oven until cheese starts to form bubbles.
To assemble: When the baguette is lightly toasted, rub it with the whole garlic clove. Then carefully remove chevre from oven & spread hot chevre mixture onto baguette. Season with fresh oregano & remaining sliced chilli, & drizzle with a little more olive oil before serving on a large bread board where your guests can slice & enjoy this fragrant cheese dish which works brilliantly with a glass of chilled Champagne - delicious.